Arthur A. Medina, Jr., O.D.
Dr. Arthur A. Medina, Jr. has been involved in vision correction surgery for over 30 years locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. He owns and operates a private optometric practice in downtown San Antonio and teaches at the Rosenberg School of Optometry. Dr. Medina also oversees and manages LASIK and refractive surgery clinical care provided at Parkhurst-NuVision. Below are a few of the credentials that describe why we are so proud to have Dr. Medina as head of the clinical care team.
- Developed and implemented one of the first in the nation OD-MD refractive surgery co-management systems with Dr. Ralph Berkley, M.D. (Houston) in 1983. Partnered with Dr. Berkley for over 3 years.
- Taught refractive surgery management techniques at the Harbor View Medical Center Educational Symposium (1984) including:
-Ruiz correction of astigmatism
- In 1990 Dr. Medina created the first integrated refractive surgery system in San Antonio where Lee Nordan, M.D. and Antonio San Martin, M.D. performed refractive surgery out of Dr. Medina’s clinic.
- Using this system as a foundation, Dr. Medina and Dr. Nordan created and developed an integrated refractive surgery delivery system for Omega Health Systems (OHS), which owned and operated 21 ophthalmic surgical practices across the country. Drs. Medina and Nordan implemented the integrated model throughout OHS, training and teaching surgeons refractive surgery as well as training and teaching local optometric communities pre and post-operative care for refractive surgery patients.
- Since 1996, Dr. Medina has served as chairman for refractive surgery clinical care for NuVision. NuVision, founded by 27 San Antonio area optometrists in 1996, provides doctor education, staff training, and patient education to refractive surgery patients throughout southwest Texas.
- In 1999 Dr. Medina and four partners opened the Precision Vision Laser Center in Austin, Texas that became the busiest refractive surgical facility in Austin by August 2001.
- In 2008, Dr. Medina was a keynote speaker at the American Society of Ophthalmic Administrators congress on refractive surgery co-management.
- In June 2013, Dr. Arthur A. Medina has been appointed Chairman of Refractive Surgery Clinical Care at Parkhurst-Nuvision Laser & Diagnostic Center
Awards & Appointments
- National Academy of Eye Surgeons
Excellence in eye surgery through research and clinical endeavors
- Dr. Arthur A. Medina was selected in 1993 to become exclusive consultant to Summit Technologies, the first excimer laser system to be marketed and sold in the United States. Dr. Medina created and implemented integrated refractive surgery programs for Summit Technologies with over 20 excimer refractive surgeons located throughout the country.
- Medical Advisory Committee of Freedom Vision Centers
Comprehensive course in laser refractive surgery, didactic, wet lab, and live surgery observation
Lee Nordan M.D.
Arturo Chayet M.D.
Publications and Lectures on Refractive Surgery
- Inland Eye Institute
Current concepts in refractive surgery
David Wilkins M.D.
- Laser Vision Correction Update
Refractive surgery with emphasis on excimer laser technology
Randall E. Cole M.D.
J.E. McDonald II M.D.
Craig J. Brown M.D.
Michael Ference M.D.
Robert Snip M.D.
- Dr. Arthur A. Medina has published multiple articles in various trade journals and optometric journals.
- He is a contributing editor of an optometric refractive surgery co-management textbook.
- Dr. Medina has given many lectures on refractive surgery locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
Dr. Medina is among a small handful of eye care practitioners across the country to have participated in all aspects of the theory, development and implementation of refractive surgery from its early beginnings in the United States. He has seen the development of this industry from almost every aspect. He has functioned in the refractive surgery arena as a practicing provider, manufacturing consultant, clinical consultant, investigator, educator, administrator, and implementation specialist. His first hand knowledge in RK, PRK, CK, ICL, LASIK, INTACS, Corneal Inlay, PIOL, TIOL, RLE, etc. making him uniquely qualified to care for LASIK patients seeking world-class care now available in San Antonio at Parkhurst-NuVision.