Why is Dr. Parkhurst considered one of the Best Eye Surgeons in the World?
Thousands of people freed from the frustrations of glasses and contacts, a continuous focus on advanced procedures, and constant fine-tuning of our processes and protocols…We strive to provide the most comprehensive set of procedures to maximize your vision and minimize your need for glasses and contacts throughout your lifetime.
Dr. Parkhurst is the president of a professional society of over 200 of the world’s leading vision correction surgeons. He is the most experienced Visian ICL implant surgeon in the state of Texas, has helped pioneer FDA approved procedures for “over-40” reading vision, and was listed as 1 of the Top 40 Under 40 Most Influential Eye Surgeons in the world by The Ophthalmologist.
Whether you are 18 or 80 and up, we only offer Vision Correction Surgery. It’s all we do, and we do it well.
It’s not just a legend. We employ only the latest femtosecond laser technology available today. We currently use the State-of-the-art Zeiss VisuMax laser for Modern LASIK and the SMILE procedure, and we are currently the only practice in San Antonio that has invested in this platform to provide you the most recent technological advancement in laser eye surgery.
Comfortable Consultation & Surgical Experience
Our seamless scheduling and surgical process ensures that you will fully understand your options and Dr. Parkhurst’s recommendation, and all your questions will be answered by the doctor himself. We employ the laser that is the most gentle on the eye, meaning little to no discomfort, and back to driving, working, and enjoying your new vision within 24 hours.
Options: It’s not just LASIK anymore
With the 7 different advanced and proven procedures we offer, you can rest easy knowing you’re aware of all your options, and the procedure we recommend is the right one for you and your eyes.
Automated Eye Tracking
Our automated eye trackers check and re-check the position of your eye 800 times per second. You don’t have to worry about holding your blink, or wondering where to look. Our advanced technology lasers and experienced surgeons have everything under control.
Our packages come with all you need before, during, and after your procedure to ensure the best possible results you can get. You won’t be nickel and dimed for post-op appointments, prescription eye drops, or add-ons.
Whether you are a military sniper in need of excellent long-distance vision or spend your time with art and embroidery, we offer a vast array of procedures that hold up to many different and unique vision needs.
Experienced Surgeon with A Network of Referring Doctors Throughout the Region
Stop in today and find out why so many doctors refer their patients, family, and friends to Parkhurst NuVision for Advanced Vision Correction.
Dr. Gregory Parkhurst has World Class Training and Experience
Many people wonder what training is required to become a fellowship-trained and board-certified ophthalmologist. Here are some of the facts that will help you understand why Dr. Gregory Parkhurst’s credentials set him apart; reassuring our patients they are receiving Advanced Vision Correction Technology, World Class Surgeon Experience and experienced professional staff.
All eye surgeons who are licensed to practice medicine in the state of Texas must have a four-year undergraduate degree from a major college or university. Once college is finished, graduates apply to medical school. Top medical schools such as Northwestern University in Chicago, where Dr. Parkhurst graduated from, only accept 170 medical students from a pool of applicants of several thousand applications.
Medical school is a four-year program where doctors learn everything about the human body from taking EKG’s to understanding atoms and molecular science. The best and brightest medical students tend to specialize in highly competitive surgical fields such as ophthalmology.
Ophthalmology residency involves three years of intensified micro-surgery training under direct supervision from expert instructors. Each year, the top resident in his or her class is selected to be the chief resident to help train younger doctors during their final year of residency. Graduating ophthalmologists often go on to subspecialize in one portion of the human eye. This is called a fellowship and may last anywhere from 1-3 years more of advanced training. When you add it all up, a fellowship-trained, board-certified ophthalmologist has spent 13-15 years of full-time training after graduating from high school!
Gregory D. Parkhurst, M.D. is recognized nationally as an expert and leader in LASIK vision correction who has helped pioneer new trends in refractive surgery worldwide. Here are some additional credentials that make Dr. Parkhurst not only a fellowship-trained, a board-certified ophthalmologist, but one who is internationally known for having world-class training and experience.
- Fellowship Trained Corneal & Refractive Surgery Specialist at the University of Texas, trained with the first surgeon in the United States to have performed LASIK eye surgery
- Served on Active Duty in the military for 8 years, some of which designated as a Department Chief of Ophthalmology and Refractive Surgery
- Performed over 14,000 successful ocular procedures including LASIK, PRK, ICL, Cataract Surgery and more
- Among the most Experienced ICL surgeons in the US for 2 consecutive years, currently the most experienced Visian ICL surgeon in the state of Texas according to the manufacturer
- Author of Multiple Peer Review Publications articles on Refractive Surgery in such prestigious journals as The Journal of Refractive Surgery, Ophthalmology Times, Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today,
- Refractive Surgery Outlook, and others
- Author of Multiple Text Book Chapters on Cataract and Refractive Surgery published in multiple languages worldwide
- Faculty Instructor for the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, and the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery; teaches other surgeons from around the world about Advanced Vision Correction Techniques
- President of The Refractive Surgery Alliance Professional Association of Ophthalmologists
Dr. Parkhurst Discussing the Refractive Surgery Alliance
- Medical Director for The LensAR Center of Excellence for Laser Cataract Surgery in San Antonio and the South Region 2014
- Medical Director for a Crystalens Accommodating Lens Implant for Cataract Surgery “Center of Excellence” 2014
- Award-winning Medical Researcher
- Principal Investigator for multiple US FDA Clinical Trials including corneal inlays for the treatment of presbyopia and excimer lasers used in LASIK surgery
- Consultant to Ophthalmic Industry Including Alcon Labs, Staar Surgical, ReVision Optics, Oasys Medical, and Sonomed to name a few
- Refractive Eye Surgeon to professional athletes, TV personalities, fighter pilots, his family members, and a wide range of people desiring reduced dependence on glasses and contact lenses
- Lives and Practices in San Antonio Full-time. Had Laser Vision Correction on his own eyes in 2003